A couple of weeks ago I ran across a reference to this discussion-brainstorming-problem solving technique in Ken Robinson’s book on creativity. I didn’t know anything about it and did some research then ended up buying de Bono’s book which I’m about to finish.
The technique isn’t new and has apparently be used with a lot of success. It looks like it got a lot of press a few years ago, especially in the UK.
I’m intrigued by the ideas and the technique but also a little hesitant to dive in. I’d love to hear some comments from folks who have actually implemented it in small or large ways. A couple of specific questions:
- How did you introduce the technique to your organization?
- How much training did you do and/or afterward thought was needed before using it?
- What kind of group sessions did you use it for?
- How did you get the group past the feeling of artificiality or maybe silliness involved?
- If you’ve stopped using it, why?
- If you did it over, what would you do different?
But you needn’t limit your comments to those questions. Any advice welcome!